PIERCARLO ABATE, Instructional Design
This is the working title for a video collection of interviews to Austin State Hospital peer support specialists about their own experiences dealing with mental illness.
Objective of the video is to help current patients at ASH to overcome challenges of mental illness through peer support specialists’ experiences.
The video will be composed of five interviews to different specialists. Every specialist will be asked three different questions related to their own experience. Each answer will be about 3 minutes long
Every interview will last about 9 minutes, for a total of 45 minutes for the entire video.
We will shoot at Tom’s Tabooley (2928 Guadalupe St. Austin). I am planning to shoot in the morning (it depends on Peers Support and video maker availability)
Each Peer Support Specialist will choose five different questions from the following:
1) Do you accept your illness? Do you think this has any impact on your recovery?
2) Was there an “ah ah” moment in your life that made you decide to accept your illness and work toward recovery?
3) Describe a moment when your self-esteem went low because of your mental illness?
4) What gives you courage?
5) Do you have a role model(s)? Who and why?
6) When you are having a tough day, what do you do to make it through the day?
7) What is the most important lesson you have learned through your experience with mental illness?
8) What is the most important advice you have to offer to someone in a mental health crisis?
9) What do you do to take care of yourself?
10) What are the most effective strategies that you use to cope with stress?
11) Do you say something positive about yourself every day?
12) Do you have self-esteem issues? How do you cope with them?
13) Describe a day that started negative and turned positive thanks to your attitude
14) What do you do when you feel you can’t just make it another day?
15) What do you do for fun?
16) How important is medication for your well-being?
17) How did you become a peer support specialist?
18) How do you relax?
19) Do you have any hobbies?
20) Does spirituality play a role in your recovery?
21) How did your family react to your diagnosis
22) Who is your support group? (Peers, family, friends etc.)
23) Have you ever been arrested? Did your mental illness play a role?
24) Have you ever had to overcome an addiction?
25) How do you cope with the stresses of a job?
26) How does your family cope with the challenges of your mental illness?
27) How do you cope with dating?
28) How do you define recovery?
29) How do you cope with setbacks?
30) How old were you when you first got sick?
31) What makes a psychiatrist a good psychiatrist for you?